Two die after boat overturns in Port Medway

by Keith Corcoran

  • <p>KEITH CORCORAN PHOTO</p><p>First responders in Port Medway later on May 5 after the search was finished. Emergency crews were summoned that morning to an overturned crabbing vessel that resulted in the death of two people.</p>
  • <p>KEITH CORCORAN PHOTO</p><p>Volunteer firefighters in Port Medway assist with a temporary road closure May 5 as authorities investigated the incident.</p>

Two boaters are dead after the crabbing vessel they were in overturned May 5 in waters off Port Medway, Queens County.

"One of the occupants was recovered near the shore by the RCMP and brought to hospital in an ambulance," Cpt. Marc Greatti of the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre (JRCC) told LighthouseNOW later on May 5 "and a second occupant was also recovered, and at that stage, we stopped and returned our assets to base."

It wasn't until the next day that Greatti could say that the woman had no vital signs when she was found and later died in hospital. A man was found near the boat in question and also was also unresponsive.

Greatti said RCMP confirmed with them that the man also died. There was no immediate information as to their places of residence.

A maritime patrol aircraft and an air-sea rescue helicopter assisted with the search and rescue response. Greatti said several local vessels also helped.

JRCC was the lead agency dealing with the incident as the matter occurred in federal waters. Nova Scotia RCMP spokeswoman Cst. Brenda Elson confirmed May 6 that police are "not investigating anything further on this event."

First responders were summoned around 10:30 a.m. after a call reporting an overturned boat. The search wrapped up within four hours.

A couple of agencies responding to the incident weren't talking on May 6 about their respective roles in assisting.

"At this point I'm not prepared to give any comments," Chief Kendall Farmer of the Port Medway volunteer fire department told LighthouseNOW.

"Right now I'm not allowed to give any information," said Ken Oickle of Queens County's ground search and rescue team.

Oickle said he'll know what he's allowed to say and how much detail he's able to talk about publicly after an upcoming debriefing.

A section of Port Medway Road leading to the Lighthouse Park was temporarily closed May 5 at the intersection of Commercial Street and Long Cove Road as authorities investigated.

Thank you for printing this article from lighthousenow.ca. Subscribe today for access to all articles, including our archives!