2019-09-25

Discarded smoking materials blamed for Newcombville fire

by Keith Corcoran

Tri district volunteer firefighters doused the ditch off Highway 325 after a nine-by-one metre section of dry leaves and grass burned near the Newcombville road on September 19.

  • <p>KEITH CORCORAN, PHOTO</p><p>A volunteer firefighter works the scene of a grass fire in Newcombville.</p>

Deputy Fire Chief Byron Schrader believes discarded smoking materials may have caused the afternoon blaze.

Schrader urged smokers to use other means to dispose of cigarette butts rather than putting them on the ground.

Thank you for printing this article from lighthousenow.ca. Subscribe today for access to all articles, including our archives!