Smoke condition at Queens County makes for tense moments

by Keith Corcoran

A report of smoke flowing into the main lodge building through the duct system of a Queens County establishment had some fearing a repeat of events nearly 10 years ago.

Liverpool volunteer firefighters were dispatched to White Point Beach Resort around 10 a.m., June 19, after receiving information about smoke in the main lodge.

Emergency crews from neighbouring volunteer fire departments were also summoned for additional help.

First-arriving responders determined a roof-top heating and cooling unit malfunctioned, caught fire, and blew smoke into the building. The fire was out on emergency crew's arrival and mutual aid assistance was cancelled. Firefighters used gear to ventilate smoke out of the structure. It was re-opening day for the resort.

A spokeswoman had nothing further to share about the incident. "All is good at White Point," Abigail Pate told LighthouseNOW.

The main lodge was rebuilt after a massive fire destroyed the building in November 2011.

Thank you for printing this article from lighthousenow.ca. Subscribe today for access to all articles, including our archives!