2019-07-24

Newburne incident a reminder to make children aware of dangers of fire

by Keith Corcoran

  • <p>KEITH CORCORAN, PHOTO</p><p>Melanie Langille, chief of the Walden volunteer fire department, shows <em>LighthouseNOW</em> the mattresses impacted as result of an emergency call July 19 in Newburne.</p>

A recent emergency dispatch to Newburne may well serve as a reminder that children should always be made aware of the dangers of fire.

A box of paper was ignited and a pair of bunk-bed mattresses were impacted by the flames in a July 19 incident. It was initially believed to be a fully-involved house fire with a family possibly trapped inside.

Emergency officials on scene were confident the outcome involving a Walburne Road home and the people inside it could have been devastating had it not been for a working smoke detector.

Walden volunteer firefighters, RCMP, and paramedics were summoned to the scene around 11:20 a.m. Fire Chief Melanie Langille said the fire was out when emergency crews arrived.

First-arriving responders carried the mattresses outside and cleared the smoke from the trailer. Two children were assessed for smoke inhalation on scene by paramedics but no one required transport to hospital by ambulance.

An adult inside the home was alerted to what was happening thanks to the fire-protection device. Three people were inside at the time of the incident.

Thank you for printing this article from lighthousenow.ca. Subscribe today for access to all articles, including our archives!