An aggravated assault incident in Lunenburg involving people known to each other sparked a controlled lockdown at Lunenburg County's two hospitals, RCMP confirm.
The investigation into the April 16 matter is being led by the Mounties' major crime unit, Cpl. Chris Marshall, a spokesman for the province's RCMP, told LighthouseNOW in an email.
Marshall said there was no risk to the public as the matter was not random. He said law enforcement is still gathering information and the matter remains under investigation.
The restricted access to Fishermen's Memorial Hospital in Lunenburg and South Shore Regional Hospital in Bridgewater lasted for at least an hour on the date in question.
Brendan Elliott, a spokesman for Nova Scotia Health, said the temporary measures were in place to protect patient, visitor and staff safety.
"For example," he said in an email to LighthouseNOW, "we allowed all staff and physicians with appropriate identification and those from public requiring medical care entrance into the building. We supported all to exit."
Limits concerning exit and entry began at Bridgewater's hospital just before noon. Policy dictates such access controls are designed to prevent unauthorized entry or exit and screen for the purpose of identifying weapons or other objects that pose a threat.
The Bridgewater Police Service (BPS) was notified about the situation.
Speaking to LighthouseNOW, Danny MacPhee, BPS deputy chief, said his agency learned it was feared an unwanted visitor may try to gain access to a patient at the town's hospital waiting to be taken by air ambulance to a Halifax hospital. MacPhee said the patient, whose age and gender were not released, had been temporarily transferred to South Shore Regional from Fishermen's Memorial.